Take one Dress # 9 - Glitter + Wit

By Victoria As-it-Seams - 09:00

IT'S September! It's the new term! And Take One Dress, the monthly creative chain, is back! 
And this time, I'm thrilled to welcome Tasha from Glitter + Wit. Tasha must be one of the most creative seamstresses out there. Her sewing is always surprising and stunning, and her blog is so much fun. And for Take One Dress, she's come up with another wonderful creation... Over to you Tasha!


As my daughter says to the cashier and bagger at the grocery checkout, "hey guys; it's ME!!!" But seriously, I'm Tasha, I blog at Glitter+Wit, and I am pumped to be a part of the Take One Dress series. In case you missed the dress Renee picked as my inspiration, here it is:
   6a4631528c0d9ea7bba4a7d320457443

You can find Renee's pin for this Mini Boden dress here. I usually love all the Mini Boden things I come across on Pinterest, but this one just wasn't really speaking to me. I pulled myself together and ended up with something I feel really draws from the inspiration, but is still ME. And looking at the inspiration again, I can see that I may have been subconsciously influenced by the orange on the shoes!Ha!

glitter-and-wit-take-one-dress-9

I modified the [Baby] Hummingbird Dress pattern by Rabbit Rabbit Creations to create this fun little dress. I added the mismatched collar, faux belt, and rosettes. I also reduced the width of the elastic casing, lengthened the straps to create a crossed back, and pleated the skirt with my pleating foot (instead of gathering).

glitter-and-wit-take-one-dress-8 glitter-and-wit-take-one-dress-7The hem was a happy accident that resulted in the perfect full twirly skirt. For the photoshoot, I told E she had to wear the dress but she could choose the accessories. Of course she picked her STYLO hat (her "rain hat") and bright red shoes & socks. Kids will be kids!

glitter-and-wit-take-one-dress-11glitter-and-wit-take-one-dress-3The entire dress is knit (vintage!), which pretty much means that it ended up a little too big. I took up the straps a bit but didn't adjust the elastic. She'll be wearing this one through next Summer! Next on the Take One Dress line-up is Laura from Behind the Hedgerow. My inspiration for Laura is one of my very favorite dresses ever--the dress I made for my daughter's 18 month photos. I made this dress about a month into my sewing/blogging adventure, and it's the dress that helped solidify my own personal sewing style. Have fun, Laura! And of course, thanks so much for adding me to the series, Victoria! 


0021




Tasha, thank you! I completely love your creation! It's so fun and wearable and a bit whacky. Just brilliant!

And your inspiration dress is great too. So many ideas to play with - I'm sure Laura's going to have fun. Don't miss Laura's creation here in October! Follow As it Seams on facebook, blogger etc on the links below! See you next month!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. This is so you Tasha! Beautiful colours & I totally love little E's accessorising :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go E! Love the accessories you have chosen for your new fab dress! Tasha, seriously, you have done it again - super cool and super fun dress :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's such a great version!
    I do love her choice of accessories, tho. Such a unique style :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. Simply amazing. Your style is spot on!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh - great job, Tasha! And thanks for the inspiration - that dress is so YOU and I can't wait to use some of those elements in my own little sewing studio! The wheels are in motion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize Tasha was sewign this dress for the series. Super cute, love how she put her own definite stamp on the inspirational dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you, and try to reply as often as I can, either here or by email. All views, tips, gratefully received...
Victoria